St Catherines

STC1-001
STC1-002
STC1-003
STC1-005

STC1-006

STC2-001

It’s been said that since 1460, there’s been a hostelry on the site of the present building. According to CANMORE during the 15th century a chapel was founded by Duncan Campbell of Loch Awe and next to the Chapel was a holy well. Pilgrims and travellers would have shelter and accommodation provided by the nearby hostelry. The chapel seems to have been abandoned during the early 17th Century and fell into disrepair and ruin.
The inn was rebuilt in 1756 as a coaching inn which would benefit from the general improvement of communications throughout Scotland during the 18th century. There are remains of an 82m pier, to the NW of the hotel, built to a Thomas Telford design in 1812-1820 (RCAHMS). Travellers could cross Loch Fyne by ferry from Inveraray to St Catherines then continue on their journey to places like Kilmun, Lochgoilhead, Cairndow and Glencroe.
In 1756 a quarry opened to the south of the inn and stone quarried at St Catherines was used at Inveraray Castle. Up to fifty quarry men were employed and the Hotel would have been at the centre of all this activity. The quarry was occasionally worked in the 19th century but there were no new workings after 1849 (RCAHMS)
STC1-007
STC1-004

STC2-002
Owners of St Catherines Hotel

Duke of Argyll
1947 – 1973 Duncan Munro
1973 – 1983/4 Marlborough
1983/4 – 1985/6 Willie Allan
1985/6 – 1989/90 Robert Somerville
1991-2002/3 Janet and John Rodger, Noel and Sheena Dowse

Managers/Hotel Keepers

1861 Census John Campbell Innkeeper
1871 Census James MacDonald Innkeeper
1881 Census Donald Sutherland
1891 Census Donald Sutherland
1900 Census John McIntyre
1907 – 1911 Allan MacDonald
Around 1928/35 Jim MacDonald
1973 Louis and May Lawrie
Irene, George and Ness

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.