There were three golf courses in Strachur. More info coming soon!


Excerpts from Newspapers Oban Times May 21st 1904

“Some time ago, at a series of meetings held by those interested in the formation of a golf club for Strachur and Strathlachlan, it was resolved unanimously to carry the project into effect, and steps were taken immediately to construct a nine hole course.

Saturday first at 3 o’clock, will see the opening of the course, when Mr R.H. Plowden of Strachur will drive the opening ball, and declare the course open. No doubt Mr Plowden, being a golfer, will have something to say in praise of the game and commend it to the parishioners and visitors.

It is hoped that the course will become popular, and that the committee will be supported financially by the householders, in view of the course being a decided acquisition to the district. The Secretary and Treasurer is the Rev. Alex MacDonald, Ivy Cottage.

Edinburgh Evening Times, November 30th, 1906, New course at Strachur.

“The new golf course at Balliemeanoch Farm, Strachur, was formally opened yesterday when Mr R.H.Plowden of Strachur drove the first ball and declared the course open.”

Oban Times November 11th, 1913

“On New Years Day the nine hole golf course at Strachur was formally opened for play. The ground for the course, which is on the Home Farm at Balliemeanach, situated conveniently in the centre of the village, has been kindly granted free by Mr and Mrs R.H. Plowden, of Strachur Park, who have also contributed handsomely to the cost of formation.”