Mr. John Campbell was Landlord of St. Catherines Hotel and also Coachdriver from Lochgoilhead to St. Catherines. While he was living in St. Catherine’s there was no proper school, educating children was difficult so Mr. Campbell decided to do something about that. He kept his passengers amused with tales and at the end of the journey he would ask for a donation to contribute to the fund he was raising for a new school at St. Catherines. He donated generously himself as did neighbouring gentry and a grant having been obtained from government. The foundation stone was laid in 1857 with Masonic honours.
Poll School closed on 30th June 1960, pupils and Teacher transferred to Strachur.