In 1918 Lady George Campbell became the new occupant of Strachur Park. As Sybil Lanscelles Alexander she was born in 1860 in London and in 1879 had married Lord George Granville Campbell, 4th son of the 8th Duke of Argyll. He had died in 1915, aged 64, having gained the rank of Lieutenant in the Royal Navy.
Her son, Ivar, had died in 1916 from wounds received in action with the 3rd Batallion, Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders. (See more about Ivar on our WW1 page)WW1
Lady George moved from Inveraray Castle into Strachur Park with her daughter Joan where in later years they were joined by the young son of her second daughter Enid, Ian Fife Anstruther, who spent most of his childhood in Strachur House.
Lady George and Miss Joan Campbell were both very fond of children. Many workers’ children received gifts for birthdays and Christmas. Lady George also donated the Dux prize in Strachur Primary. Piping was encouraged and the Miss Joan Campbell Pipe Band was formed, with uniforms and pipes being gifted by the Campbells. (See Miss Joan Campbell pipe Band on our Piping Page) Piping
It was during Lady George’s time the square entrance porch of Strachur house was replaced by the present round-ended one, which echoes the round-ended back entrance. The balcony-cum-conservatory was removed, restoring the left flanking wing to its former shape, in harmony with the right wing. Lady George also added a further, single-storied wing to the right of the house.
Lady George died in 1947, aged 87 years. Miss Joan Campbell sold the Strachur Estate in 1957 to Sir Fitzroy MacLean.